Introduction

Hello there and welcome to my blog! I'll start by saying im Peter Cahill and I am a year two student at TU Dublin. I try to stay active by playing football, I train two nights a week and play games at the weekends, at the moment the team I play for is top of our league and I am on route to get my first ever leage medal at the age of 30, fingers crossed. I also try to play some golf when I can, I say try because im terrible at it but sure look its grand having an aul shwing at things.
Anyway,to give you some insight into who I am, I will tell you about the road that led me to TUD. I left school in 5th year to pursue what I thought was going to be the rest of my life, I had a trade lined up to become a plasterer and follow in my fathers footsteps. All was going well for about 2 months then out of nowhere BANG!!! recession. I had to be let go by my boss and was left twiddling my thumbs as was most people. Anyway not having a leaving cert meant that I was not going to get a job that payed well so I decided to go back and get it.Having got my leaving cert in the bag I was then pursuaded to go to college, which I was against as I didnt know if I would be able for it and also I had no clue what I wanted to study or what I even wanted to pursue as a "career". I ended up working regular jobs in factorys as a general operative which was to be honest an absolute nightmare. I was 27 working in a medical factory when I finally had my lightbulb moment. During my early 20's I always wondred how websites were made and what made them tick but that is all it ever was-a thought,I had always pondred the question of how are they made but never asked it, so I packed in my job and found a course that thought web development. I studied it in Cavan Institute along with other subjects that I never would have seen myself do in the past but I can honestly say that I know this is what I want to do with my life. Here I am 3 years later still in pursuit and still loving it!.

9 comments:

  1. hey peter, its interesting to hear how you got to TU. It must've be a rough road but hey its good to have you here. I also didn't know what i wanted to study until i did my PLC and both aced and enjoy web dev. Its gonna be a vibe to see what you come up with this year and hopefully its a good year too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter,
    I absolutely refuse to believe that you're 30 but that's a really interesting story and such a change up in careers going from a plasterer to a student in CDM, fair play to you. Going back to get your LC must not have been easy you obviously work really hard at everything you do, honesty inspiring stuff mate.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter, great blog post. You have been through so many obstacles and I feel like this will be kind of like a new beginning (well 2nd year) for you. Even after having many jobs you decided to pursue what you liked and start college and I can see you like challenges which is a great mindset! I am excited to work with you on our group project and I cant wait to see our final product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter very interesting to see your journey and how you went to go onto Creative Digital Media In TUD and how you went on to pursue Web development from your interest of how websites were made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Peter, I like how you pursue a sport you enjoy like football. Do you feel that football sometimes gets in the way of your college work or is it perfectly balanced? It was good to see your light bulb go off after all those years and your interest for web site design appeared. I'm glad you still in enjoy website design and are very motivated to keep learning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Peter,

    Nice to learn a bit more about you from the blog. I never knew you were a mature student like myself. I started in TU at 29 and was like what am I doing... but so far so good. Glad to hear you're enjoying the course and growing your web knowledge

    Kev

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Peter,

    Good to read your introduction and learn of how you got to where you are today. You have a good head on your shoulders knowing what you were leaving school for, and even though it didn't work out as planned, you had the drive to push for a return to education! You're definitely doing better than most!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Pete, what’s up!

    Probably should have commented on your introduction sooner but better late than never I suppose 😅

    Your life story is very interesting. I must commend you for going back and getting your Leaving Cert. It’s unfortunate what happened to you with the recession but it’s great to hear you are in a much better & happier place now that you know what you want to do.


    -Robbie Cahill

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi peter bro your introduction is very good. i rate you more on going back and getting your leaving cert done. i cannot believe that your 28. you look very young. best of luck and hope to see you around very soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Unity Tutorial 9

 More Unity I have been a small bit behind on developing my game and have only got round to doing some actual work on it today, I have the s...